Spring Cleaning Your Car
Spring is in the air and now is the perfect time to give your car a spring clean. It’s the perfect time to take advantage of the warmer weather and spend some time getting your car ready for any road trips you may be planning to make. Getting your car clean and tuned up is the only way you can be sure your car is ready to help you enjoy those great outdoors.
The sun is out, it’s time to roll up those sleeves and tackle the task of cleaning your car. Getting rid of all that built up winter mess on the inside and on the outside of your car is important. Here’s our list of the top ten things you should do.
- Upholstery and carpet – you should always focus your attention first on the upholstery and interior carpeting, get rid of any dirt or dry mud on your floor carpeting and use a damp towel to give your seats a wipe over.
- The console – Always wash the console of your car very carefully, avoid getting any electrical connections wet. Use a damp cloth to wipe over the top of the dashboard, but be careful to dry it thoroughly, before moving on to any other tasks.
- Organise! – Clean out your glove box and any other compartments. Throughout winter you have probably accumulated lots of unwanted or un-needed items, lolly wrappers, receipts etc, throw out all the rubbish. You’ve probably rummaged around in consoles and the glove box, pulling things out and shoving them back in, now is the time to pull everything out and reorganize!
- Windows – shine your windows! After all that driving around in winter, mist and fog, frost etc your windows will need a little more care and attention. Clean the insides and outsides of all windows using a good window cleaner, and then shine them with a dry towel. Do the side mirrors the same way.
- The boot – check the boot next, and clean out any of the mess that has accumulated. This is also a good time to check your spare tyre and make sure it is good, you never know when you’ll need it. If you have an emergency kit, check that it is all in working order, if you don’t already have an emergency kit, now is a good time to buy one. Clear everything out and give the boot a good vacuum out.
- The car exterior – take the time to look at the exterior of your car, a good wash is probably in order. Make sure your first spring wash is a good one, so you get all the winter dirt and grime off. Use a soft towel and a good quality car wash liquid to wash your car down.
- The wheels – pay some extra attention to the wheels and remove the hubcaps and give them a separate wash. Scrub the tyres and wheel wells thoroughly. While you are doing this, it’s a good time to check the tyre pressure and tighten any loose lug nuts.
- Look under the bonnet – be sure to check under the bonnet, leaves, debris and dirt can get into your engine area. In some cases, you might just need a quick wipe over the edges, in other cases you may need to look at getting the engine wiped off or even professionally cleaned.
- Waxing – giving the exterior of your car a good wax over is a great idea – just make sure you don’t do it in the sunlight. Choose a liquid or spray wax for the best results. If you have decided to try a new product, test it on a hidden portion of the cars body first to ensure it works properly.
- Replace your wiper blades – following winter some vehicles may need new wiper blades, this depends on where you live and the winter you have faced. Having your wipers in good working condition is important.
Take just one afternoon to clean and detail your car, it’s the best way to ensure your car is in the best possible condition for the coming months.
Spring is also a good time to book your car in with the local mechanic for a service
- Get the oil changed
- Get any belts check
- Ensure the engine is working at its best
- Get the air conditioner checked and re-gassed if necessary
- To ensure all lighting systems are working – both internally and externally
- Check and replace any tyres
These tips along with the above mobile car cleaning tips will ensure your car is in good working order – inside and out and is looking it’s best throughout spring and summer.